If you are a Commonwealth citizen and have a grandparent who was born in the United Kingdom, you may be eligible to apply for a UK Ancestry Visa. This visa allows you to live and work in the UK for up to five years, with the option to extend and eventually apply for settlement.
To be eligible for a UK Ancestry Visa, you must meet the following requirements:
- Commonwealth citizenship: You must be a citizen of a Commonwealth country, which includes countries such as Australia, Canada, India, and South Africa.
- Grandparent born in the UK: You must have a grandparent who was born in the UK, including Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man.
- Proof of ancestry: You must be able to provide sufficient evidence of your ancestry, such as birth, marriage, and death certificates of your grandparents and parents.
- Ability to work and support yourself: You must be able to work and support yourself without relying on public funds.
- Intention to work or study: You must have a clear intention to work or study in the UK during your stay.
Once you have been granted a UK Ancestry Visa, you can live and work in the UK for up to five years. After five years, you may be eligible to apply for settlement (indefinite leave to remain) and eventually, British citizenship.
To apply for a UK Ancestry Visa, you must complete an online application form, pay the application fee, and attend a biometric appointment to provide your fingerprints and photograph. You should also prepare your supporting documents, which will include evidence of your ancestry, proof of your ability to work and support yourself, and any other relevant documents.
Overall, the UK Ancestry Visa is a great option for Commonwealth citizens who have a connection to the UK and are interested in living and working in the country for an extended period of time. If you meet the eligibility criteria, it is worth considering this visa as a potential option for your immigration plans. Here at Hurlingham Law we will advise and represent you in your ancestry visa. Contact us to see how we can assist.